Planning your dream deck includes choosing what material to use. Wood and composites are the top two on the list that you may consider. To help you make the right decision on this matter, let’s first explore the pros and cons of these two options.
Things that homeowners consider when thinking about a home improvement are money, time, and the long-term value it can have on their property. For that reason, getting enough facts about things like choosing between wood and composite for the decking is necessary. Remember that sturdy, longer-lasting decks come with the right material and the skillful hands of your chosen local deck building contractor in Bucket City.
Choose from a wide variety of sturdy woods for your deck. Among the most popular option available are cedar, redwood, and pressure-treated pine lumber. Exotic woods may also be selected, including tiger wood, ipe, and mahogany. The pros and cons of wood decking are further discussed below.
- More comfortable. Wood decks feel cool and comfortable even when you walk on them barefoot. The hot summer days won’t have any effect on it, and you can expect it to stay cool for you to have a nice afternoon nap.
- Budget-friendly. Being easily available anywhere you go, wood is obviously less expensive than composite woods. Yet, the price may still differ depending on the type of wood you choose.
- Creates a more natural look and feel. It’s still the most common material used for decking simply because of its natural beauty, which can last long when maintained well.
- Susceptible to fire and moisture. Wood’s biggest enemy is fire because it can burn a whole deck with just one lighted match or cigarette. Fire can come from anything even during the night when you’re asleep and not there to extinguish it immediately and keep your deck intact.
- Prone to cracking and splintering. Depending on the type of wood you select, this con may be less. However, it’s also important to note the traffic or weight that your deck can take so you can at least avoid overloading it with people during a gathering or party at home.
- Requires maintenance and sealing every other year. Wood is naturally vulnerable to moisture which can only be avoided with proper sealing. This should be re-applied yearly or when necessary, like after a storm or heavy rain, as part of its maintenance.
- Less maintenance. Without the need for staining and painting every now and then, composite requires less maintenance.
- Has a wide selection of colors. Composites don’t need painting or staining like wood. They can easily match your home’s color from the outside.
- Eco-friendly. The use of recycled materials is 100% safe with composite decking. Many composite companies do this to help preserve nature through synthetic decks.
- Can be a pricey alternative. The durability and attractiveness that composite decking offers come at a cost which some homeowners may find to be a turn-off. It’s more expensive than wood by 15 to 20 percent.
- Not a natural material. Regardless of how beautiful and perfect its colors are, composite remains to be just a copycat of real wood. It’s still best to choose real wood if you want its full beauty for your deck.
- Prices can vary from shop to shop. Comparing the prices from each shop selling composite is necessary because they may have different rates. You may also ask for stain and fade warranties which are now available for this kind of material for decking.
Builders of Top-Quality Decks in Bucket City
Break free from staying inside when you want to relax or bond with your family and friends. Adding a deck to your property is the answer to that, extending your living room into the outdoors where you get the chance to enjoy nature’s beauty in the background. It’s going to be your best hangout area whenever you’re home; all you need is the help of a reliable deck building contractor in Bucket City. Let it be us at Bucket City Deck Builders.
We’ve got years of unparalleled experience in the field of deck building services and have been trained to perform various related services. Our professional deck builders are knowledgeable in deck design and installation, deck repair and restoration, and porch design and installation, among others. We’re the go-to of homeowners each time they plan to make an improvement in their home sweet home because our services always come with the most affordable rates that are perfect for your budget, too.
When you hire us, you’ll experience a successful, worry-free, and hassle-free deck building project. We’ll involve you in the process from start to finish to ensure that we provide you with the kind of results you expect from us. Give yourself a first-class deck to share sweet moments with loved ones. Let’s team up and create the perfect plan to make the deck you’ve always wanted a reality. Call us at 615-205-7744, and we’re more than happy to serve you!